Today the Mesh Wi-Fi system is so popular. Many people are opting for the system to improve the Wi-Fi coverage in homes and offices.
ASUS is known to produce one of the most powerful routers with many exceptional features. The company decided to take an innovative approach in the mesh network with the ASUS AiMesh network system.
The ASUS AiMesh is a DIY mesh network solution. With the AiMesh, you can pick your device. Meaning you won’t have to purchase the whole system.
This assures you flexibility because you can optimize your budget and purchase the device you love.
In addition, if you buy a new router in the future, the older ASUS AiMesh can perform the functions of an AiMesh node. Therefore it won’t do to waste. Here is a guide on:
How To Setup AiMesh
Step 1: Preparation
This is the most critical step. Preparation is so important before you start the setup process.
- First, make sure you have at least two models of ASUS routers. The models should be compatible with the AiMesh. Check out the official website to find out the various models that can work with AiMesh.
- You then assign one router the role of a node while the other one becomes the main router.
- Thirdly place the node and router within a distance of one to three meters when setting up the process.
Step 2: Upgrade the Firmware
You need to upgrade the two routers. They should have the latest AiMesh-supported firmware.
- First, turn on the routers.
- To be certain that the hardware connection is successful. Check for the 2.4/5GHz LED and WAN lights.
- Connect your PC/ laptop to the router using a network cable.
- From your PC, open a web browser. It will automatically redirect you to the ASUS Setup Wizard. In case this does not happen, visit their website.
- While in the ASUS Setup Wizard, go to “Administration” and then “Firmware Upgrade.” Click on “Check.” The firmware will automatically upgrade.
- After a successful firmware upgrade, navigate to a page known as “Network Map.” While here, check for the network icon.
Step 3: Restore the AiMesh Node
In this step, you have to reset the AiMesh mode to default factory settings.
- The process is quite simple. All you need to do is hold the reset button on the AiMesh node for not less than five seconds. Let go of the reset button when the LED begins to flash slowly.
- After a successful reset, detach cables, specifically the network ones. The node should remain on.
- While on, you will be able to set the system.
Step 4: Router Setting
- The first process is unplugging the DSL modem/cable. In the case where it has a back battery, then you’ll have to remove it.
- Use a network cable to actualize the connection between the modem and the AiMesh router’s port (WAN). Ensure the modem is on. Check the modem LED lights to be certain the link is active.
- Plugin the power adapter into a power source and turn on the router. To be certain that the hardware connection is ready, check for the 2.4/5G LED and WAN lights.
The AiMesh can be set under several options, which are:
Option 1: Web GUI
- You’ll have to connect your AiMesh router to your PC using a network cable. Then connect your PC to one of the AiMesh LAN ports using the Ethernet cable. You can also connect your AiMesh router and PC using Wi-Fi instead of a network cable. All you need to do is know your router’s network name.
- Open a web browser. It will automatically redirect you to “ASUS Set-Up Wizard.” But if it does not, manually visit the website.
- While on the site, navigate to “Network’s Map Page.” To continue to the next step, you will have to click on the network icon. After this, find the node.
- If the AiMesh node is found, click on it. This will add it to the AiMesh system. It would be best if you placed the routers close to each other when making the connections.
- It should be about one to three meters.
- If the synchronization is successful, you’ll get a message.
Option 2, 3: The ASUS Router App-Android/ IOS
- You have to download the ASUS Router App. It’s available in Google PlayStore. While the IOS App is available on App Store
- Find your AiMesh router network name and connect it. The great thing is the default network name can be found on your AiMesh router back label.
- After successful login, go to “More” and click on “AiMesh” to start the synchronization process.
- After clicking on AiMesh, it will search for the node automatically. After finding it you’ll have to add it to the system with a click.
- Place the two routers close while setting up. That’s around one to three meters away.
- After successful synchronization, you’ll receive a confirmation message.
Step 5: Placement
The AiMesh node and router should be put in a high and open space. The great thing is you can add extra two nodes to your AiMesh system if its topology is a daisy chain.
For star topology and mixed daisy chain, you can add four nodes. Meaning you can have five in a complete AiMesh system. That’s four Aimesh nodes and one AiMesh router.
Benefits Of AiMesh
The Wi-Fi Coverage is Strong
The one thing that boosts Wi-Fi coverage in ASUS AiMesh is its ability to combine multiple wireless routers.
The routers will guarantee your apartment or house strong Wi-Fi. The AiMesh system is similar to that of an enterprise wireless network that has several Wi-Fi access points.
Future Proof and Flexibility
The AiMesh allows you to combine several AiMesh routers. They form a mesh of Wi-Fi networks. The good thing is that you can select any hardware you need according to your budget.
Most AiMesh routers do have at least four LAN Ethernet ports. This is something that other mesh Wi-Fi systems lack.
However, always ensure that the parent router is the model that has superior hardware. It’s because the features in the network largely depend on the main router.
Purchasing an AiMesh router will certainly guarantee you a future proof. ASUS has promised that it’ll keep supporting the functions of all its systems.
I guess you have used a Wi-Fi extender at some point. If not, then let me tell you what it is before I go to deeper details. The Wi-Fi extender is used to extend the network coverage of your Wi-Fi.
They broadcast another Wi-Fi network. The bad thing about the Wi-Fi extender is that it can connect your phone to a slower Wi-Fi.
Therefore you’ll have to shift through the networks manually. At times you might have to go into the problem of identifying the fastest Wi-Fi network.
However, the experience is quite different with the AiMesh network. On the mesh network, the entire mesh connects to only one network. This means they use the same Wi-Fi password and name.
Therefore it’s easy for your device to shift to a faster Wi-Fi node quickly. To make your user experience better, the AiMesh has a roaming assistant that helps your device connect to a quicker AiMesh node.
Central System Management
The AiMesh is a good system to use. All the configurations are done from the main router. The settings will automatically sync to the entire Wi-Fi system.
The router app offers you a lot of freedom. You can manage any node and see the devices that are connected to your Wi-Fi network in real-time.
Wi-Fi maintenance can be done from the main router too. Auto-updating is also quick and is done from the main router.
Don’t worry about the different router models. The system has been made in a way that it can identify the individual models and update them.
It offers a great Ethernet Backhaul.
With the AiMesh, you can use the Ethernet backhaul at any time. Generally, the Ethernet is faster and better. The design of the Ethernet is unique, and you can choose to prioritize Ethernet connections from the settings.
In addition, you should note that the Ethernet ports on the nodes do function fully. This offers options since you will have enough ports to connect devices that cannot connect over Wi-Fi.
It has Great Features.
The AiMesh does offer a vast amount of features. ASUS is so confident about the firmware of AiMesh. In that, they let you do a demo of the firmware online.
AiMesh is one of their best creations and has got the full features that are available in ASUSWRT.
Many mesh Wi-Fi systems out here do have very limited features. These will certainly simplify the user experience by making them easier to use. But you should note that most core features are always omitted.
The AiMesh comes with several features that are so helpful. These include things like antivirus, USB file sharing and Dual WAN.
It brags about being the only mesh Wi-Fi network with Maxis VOIP support (in Malaysia) and Unifi HyppTV.
This article offers an installation tutorial for those who want to set up the AiMesh system. ASUS introduced it to help extend wireless network coverage in your home.
ASUS is committed to making greater and better network systems. The AiMesh is so flexible and has several great features. You will certainly enjoy the full performance it offers.