In this digital age, it’s not enough to have access to a program or website through your computer. You need to be able to take that access anywhere you go. That’s why so many people prefer mobile apps over desktop programs these days. They can leave their laptop at home and still get the features they need on their phone or tablet. However, there are some instances when you might want to use a desktop program instead of an app. For example, if you need more screen space and don’t have a secondary monitor available, it might be easier to use a desktop program instead of keeping Chrome open in another tab all the time. It just depends on what works best for you at any given moment. In this blog post, we will show you how to remove Gmail from your computer if that’s something you would like to do at this time.
How To Remove Gmail Account From Computer
- First, you need to download and install the Windows Mail Recovery Tool. This is a program that can allow you to run a command line on your computer and remove Gmail from it. You can get it from this Google Drive link.
- Launch the program and follow any instructions that it gives you as to what you need to do next. The tool will ask you if you would like to install it or if you would like to run the tool right away. If you choose the latter option, then once it’s done running all of its commands, your account will be removed right after that. Click on “Run Now” in order for this process to work properly.
- When the tool has finished running all of its commands, restart your computer so that everything goes back to normal on your system again.
- Go ahead and sign in with Gmail again after restarting your computer and signing back in with your credentials before removing Gmail from your computer was done.
- If you want to also remove your Google Drive account from your computer, then go ahead and follow the steps that this program gives you for that as well.
- If you want to remove the Google Chrome browser from your computer, then do so by downloading and installing an alternative browser such as Firefox or Opera on it instead.
How To Uninstall Gmail From Your Computer Using A Windows Program
- If you’re using Windows, click on the Start button in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Next, click on Control Panel and then select Programs and Features.
- On this screen, you will find a list of all the programs that are currently installed on your computer. Click on the ‘Uninstall’ button for each program you want to remove from your computer.
- A window will pop up asking you if you would like to uninstall that particular program or not. Click ‘Yes’ to proceed with removing Gmail from your computer using this method in Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit).
Delete the Gmail App
- Start by opening the Google Chrome browser and going to the Chrome Store.
- Click on “Remove from Chrome” in the upper right corner of the window.
- Click on “Remove” when prompted by Google.
- Confirm that you want to remove Gmail from your computer by clicking on “Remove.”
- Closeout of the browser and restart it if you’re prompted to do so.
- When you attempt to open Gmail again, it will show a message saying that Gmail is not installed or not found on your system and asking if you would like to install it again or remove it completely from your device, respectively (see screenshot below).
How To Remove Gmail From Mac
- First, you need to download and install the Gmail app from the Mac App Store.
- After that, open a browser on your Mac and type in “gmail.com” in the address bar. You should see a page that says “You’re not allowed to view this page.” That’s because Google has blocked access to Gmail on your Mac for security reasons. You can simply click the “Allow” button at the bottom of the page to continue browsing Gmail on your Mac.
- Next, you need to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and click on “Gmail.” In order for Google to allow you access to your account again, it will ask you if you would like to turn off this setting or continue using it as is. Clicking “Turn Off” will remove Gmail from all of your devices, including mobile apps and email clients like Outlook and Thunderbird. However, if you want to keep using Gmail through other programs, choose “Continue Using This Setting.”
- On the next screen, you will be asked to enter your password for your Google account. You will then see a prompt asking if you would like to turn off any other programs that access your browser and/or your email. Click “Turn Off” or “Continue Using This Setting” on the next screen.
- Finally, click on “OK” when prompted to sign out of Gmail and turn off the setting for all other programs accessing your browser and/or email client.
Why You Might Want to Remove Gmail From Your Computer
You Don’t Need It Anymore
Maybe you’re using Gmail for years and don’t need it anymore, but you still want to keep your account active. If you have been using Gmail for a while and have not had any problems with it, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to disable it. Maybe the features you used on Gmail are now available through another service. Maybe the other service is cheaper than Gmail and gives you more features. In any case, if you don’t need your account anymore, it might make sense to remove it from your computer.
You Don’t Want to Use It Anymore
This is another reason that you might want to remove Gmail from your computer. Maybe you used Gmail for a while but decided that the price wasn’t worth what they were giving away in terms of features and security. Or maybe there was an issue with their support team or quality of service that made it unbearable for you to use. Whatever the reason, you might want to remove Gmail from your computer and not use it anymore.
It’s Not Available Anymore
You can also remove Gmail from your computer if you no longer have access to it. If you installed a new operating system or got a new computer, for example, you might want to remove your account from that computer so that you don’t have to log in again when you get another one. Similarly, if there was an issue with your account and they disabled it without warning, then maybe removing it from your machine will make more sense for you at this time.
Now that you know how to remove Gmail from your computer, you can make the decision that’s best for you based on your situation. If you prefer to use a desktop program instead of the website, you can uninstall the app from your computer and install another program instead. If you prefer Chrome to the Gmail web browser, you can install Google Chrome on your computer and gain access to the Gmail website through that program. Whatever you decide, having access to your emails and other features no matter where you are is important.