Gaming is more popular than ever, and many people enjoy playing their favorite games online with friends. If you’re looking to improve your gaming experience, you may want to consider using a powerline adapter. A powerline adapter allows you to use your home’s electrical wiring to create a high-speed network connection. In this blog post, we will discuss 8 of the best powerline adapters for gaming. We’ll also provide some tips on how to choose the right adapter for your needs.
Here’s The Shortlist To Save Your Time:
8 Best Powerline Adapters for Gaming Available In The Market
6 Things You Must Know While Choosing The Best Powerline Adapters for Gaming
1. Do I need them?
Powerline Adapters will not do anything for an ADSL line, because your line speed is dictated by the quality of the copper pair between your house and the telephone exchange. You can find out what speed you’ll be getting here. It’s worth noting that users on VDSL lines with bonded pairs (likely FTTC/P) will likely see an increase in speeds using powerlines because they use fast symmetric upload/download speeds, meaning there is data going both ways; through the electrical wires and up/down the copper line. If you have VDSL and know how much it is, you can check the speed here.
Powerline Adapters will also not do anything for Wireless – they simply connect to your router via Ethernet cable and provide a wired connection into another room. They may improve your speeds compared to wireless, because of the reduced interference and increased bandwidth but this will depend on many factors including distance from the router, etc.
If ADSL/VDSL isn’t an option then Powerline Adapters are definitely worth considering, as they don’t require any new cables or drilling; just plug them in and go. Take a look at our powerline buyers guide: 5 Things To Consider Before Buying Powerlines.
2. Will I see an increase in speed even if it’s just a little bit?
Even if your router is next to the socket that your Powerline Adapter plugs into, there will be some degradation of speeds. The more walls and electrical devices (hobs/power sockets etc.) between them the worse the effect will be. However, all Powerline Adapters are rated to work within 10 meters of each other – this is tested with no interference from appliances, etc., so you should still expect at least half of what you’re getting near the router after 10m. Also bear in mind that if one unit has to plug into a power socket on its own ring main then the distance increases by 15 meters for every extra socket outside its ring main. If you have a standard 3 bedroom house with one ring main in the hallway, sockets every 5 meters, and no other interference then expect somewhere between 50% and 70% of what you’d get close to the router. If you plug directly into the router with an Ethernet cable then speeds are unaffected by distance.
3. Which Powerline Adapter should I buy?
This depends on your budget, but our list of recommended Powerline Adapters can be found here. If you’re not sure which speed to go for then consider looking at our article ‘How fast do Powerline Adapters go?’
4. Do they work through coaxial cables too?
Yes! Many people choose powerlines because their homes are cabled coaxial (TV) rather than Ethernet (cable modem). All of our recommended Powerline Adapters work over coaxial if you use a special ‘TV’ version. The TV version may be more expensive but because it passes the signal through without converting to Ethernet it doesn’t matter whether your TV is wireless or wired – it will work!
5. Do I need this extra little adapter that came with my powerline kit?
Most of the time this isn’t necessary and you can simply plug in and go, however, some older homes may have ring mains that require both sockets on a ring to be used for the adapters to work. Some people also prefer not to take chances so they use an adapter anyway just in case, even though their house’s wiring does not require it. For quick reference, the little adapters that come with powerline kits are known as ‘pass-through’ or ‘passthrough’ adapters.
6. Will I have to change any of my existing cables?
As long as you’re just adding one Powerline Adapter then no, your cables will stay exactly where they are and simply plug into the new adapter which also plugs into the wall socket. However, if you are running cables between rooms or want a clean installation then you’ll need bulk Ethernet cable – this is thicker than normal Ethernet so takes more time to bend around corners etc., but it’s definitely worth it for a professional look! Read our article on how to run cable through your house.
Why Do You Need Powerline Adapters for Gaming?
1. The first benefit of this setup is that you don’t have to worry about line-of-sight being required for connectivity – just plug it into a socket! Also, as powerline adapters use your home’s existing wiring, there is no need to worry about placing them in a location where they can access an external antenna.
2. The second benefit of powerline adapters is the cost – they’re cheap! A basic complete kit consists of two or three powerline adapters and costs less than $50. That means you don’t have to spend hundreds on one device that only does the job of multiple devices. For example, wireless repeaters such as TP-Link’s TL-WA850RE retail for $80.
3. Another advantage of powerline network adapters is their lack of dependence on an internet service provider (ISP). Even if your ISP cuts off your service due to unpaid bills, you still have a working network connection because it runs through your home’s wiring, not over the internet connection. And if your ISP isn’t supplying a connection at all, then you can just plug in a wireless bridge and use that as an intermediary to connect to their service.
4. And finally, powerline adapters enable whole-home coverage. With just one device plugged into your network router/modem and another plugged somewhere else in your property (e.g. under the house), you will be able to access the internet from every device connected to your network even when they are located beyond the range of Wi-Fi or separated by brick walls and metal ducting!
To Wrap Up
So there you have it, our top 8 powerline adapters for gaming. We hope this list helps you in your search for the best adapter to speed up your connection and improve your gaming experience. Do you have a favorite that we didn’t include? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to share with your friends!