Keyboards are one of the most important peripherals for gamers. They make it possible to play with ease and comfort, but there is a wide range of the best MMO keyboards on the market. This article will help you make an informed decision about which best MMO keyboard suits your needs best.
Here’s The Shortlist To Save Your Time:
10 Best MMO Keyboards Available In The Market
5 Things You Must Know While Choosing The Best MMO Keyboards
1. Do you really need a mechanical keyboard?
Most of us don’t use our computer keyboards that often, so why do we want to spend extra money on one? That is the idea behind membrane keyboards – they are easier to make, replace, or fix in case something goes wrong with them. They are also much cheaper than their full-mechanical counterparts. However, if you play MMOs, it seems like a good idea to invest in one because you will be using your keyboard more frequently when playing an MMORPG. The general consensus among ergonomic experts is that any kind of typing can lead to muscle fatigue and even carpal tunnel syndrome if it’s not done correctly. If you ever feel typing strain in your wrists or hands, then a mechanical keyboard is a better idea, as it can reduce your chance of typing injuries.
2. Will you choose a Cherry MX-switch keyboard?
There are many different types of key switches that have been used by manufacturers to construct keyboards – from foam and foil, through rubber dome, scissor-switch mechanisms to buckle spring designs. The most popular ones today belong to either the membrane or the mechanical category. Among those two there’s one type of switch that is often praised for its high build quality and satisfying feedback: the Cherry MX-switches family. It has more than 20 models ranging from linear switches (the red one), tactile ones (tactile bump at the actuation point -), and clicky ones (you can hear the “click” sound when pressing -). You can buy any of them separately, but be prepared to pay high prices for some of them, especially if you opt-in for RGB lighting.
3. What is your budget?
You will find a lot of different keyboard layouts and features packed in every price range. If you are playing mostly MMORPGs and if you don’t mind spending money on a good upgrade, then it’s worth considering getting a backlit mechanical keyboard with customizable switches, N-Key rollover support (allows simultaneous operation of up to 6 keys), programmable macros, and media control options. These factors can take your gaming experience to a higher level in games World Of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, and The Elder Scrolls Online. But if you don’t like to spend a few hundred dollars on your gaming peripherals, then it’s no shame in choosing a more affordable option with a smaller feature set. You will probably still enjoy playing those games even without additional gadgets.
4. How important is the placement of arrow keys?
There are two dominant layouts for keyboard design: the classic 104-key (ANSI) and the newer 105-key (ISO). If you’re a US citizen, then choose ANSI; otherwise, go with ISO one as that layout is usually found in most European countries. By doing so you won’t have to worry about differences between QWERTY keyboard layout used by English speakers versus QWERTZ or AZERTY keyboard layouts used by German and French speakers, respectively. If the arrow keys are the most important thing about your decision to buy a new keyboard or not, then look for models with a tenkeyless design (90% of full-sized keyboards): those usually include arrow keys as secondary functions such as Fn (function) + Fn+arrow key combination.
5. Do you need additional gaming peripherals?
Most MMO gamers have a gaming headset these days – they’re just more comfortable to use than regular desktop microphones and headphones. However, there is one issue you might encounter: plugging a 3.5mm audio plug into a USB port on a laptop can be problematic because some soundcards don’t support that type of connection natively – so you may have to buy special drivers or use workaround solutions. Also, some manufacturers just don’t bother installing them due to the extra cost, so while it’s easy enough to plug speakers into your laptop’s built-in audio-out jack, you might not be able to do that fast with USB headsets. If you want a better sound quality or if you want surround audio features, then getting 3D headphones (Sennheiser HD 598) can be worth considering. They will make playing any game even more immersive.
Why Do You Need MMO Keyboards
1. Compact keyboard layouts have existed for a long time even outside the world of MMOs. The first popular implementation was by BlackBerry, known back then as Research In Motion (RIM). They were most famous for their tiny QWERTY thumb keyboards which allowed mobile phone users to type quickly without bogging down their small hands on an expansive touchscreen or keypad. I remember seeing these phones way back when I was in high school and thinking how cool they were, but personally, I had no use for one. Back then smartphones didn’t exist, and the idea of having a mini-laptop that you could type on at any time seemed like something out of an episode of The Jetsons (haha…jk…that show is super old).
2. RIM’s success with their mini keyboard inspired other mobile phone manufacturers to start making their own versions, most notably Motorola who released its popular MPx200/220 devices which combined cell phone functions with Windows Mobile features such as third-party apps. These phones never really gained much traction outside of Europe though due to their expensive price tag compared to Nokia’s more traditional candy bar phones. The idea might have taken off if RIM and Motorola had pursued it more aggressively, but they didn’t and the market eventually died off.
3. There was a period of about 5 years after the mainstream mobile games died down where we didn’t see many similar products pop up. It wasn’t until recently that we started to see this form factor reemerge with Blackberry’s release of their Pearl Flip phones, followed by other major smartphone manufacturers such as HTC (Diamond) and Samsung (Blackjack). Other than Blackberry’s continued support for its proprietary OS, however, these phones never really took off with consumers because Android and iOS devices already dominated the smartphone market by offering cheaper prices and better app stores at the time.
To Wrap Up
We’ve rounded up the top 10 best MMO keyboards, so you can find the perfect one for your gaming needs. Maybe it’s time to upgrade? Let us know which keyboard you like in the comment section below!